Dave's Reviews > A False Dawn

A False Dawn by Tom Lowe

Jul 02, 12

bookshelves: currently-reading

As refreshing as "A Butterfly Forest" was from this author, I was a bit disappointed by "False Dawn."
It had the same likeable protagonists, and villains whose type and MO I've seen before. There are a lot of human trafficking novels out there. As I mused about the disappointment I felt, I realized "False Dawn" was missing something very important. The central character/presence in "A Butterfly Forest" wasn't the ex-cop, the mother/daughter team, or the police. It was very simply the Ocala National Forest. This character had secrets, permitted occult practice, harbored beauty and rare fauna,former inmates and killers. It treated them all the same, with different outcomes. The forest made that book fly. Even the Native American's appearance was too brief, to startling, and unbelievably convenient.Love the dog with the small bladder, the Greek cook, everyone. But, the unique cast wasn't enough to pull me past the feeling that I'd read this before.....and I have.
I'll give Tom another shot when I finish my current book. That will be the deciding read. Is Tom the greatest, most refreshing writer in this genre in years, or does he have promise and needs to raise his game. Tom, if you have a recommendation, you can help me out here.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A False Dawn.