Caterina's Reviews > My Cross to Bear

My Cross to Bear by Gregg Allman

Jun 10, 12

Read in June, 2012

It must have taken a lot of courage for this shy man to share his life story with such honesty. In television interviews promoting this book, he seems so reticent and embarrassed he can barely speak - but reading the book is like sitting on the front porch with him, listening to him ramble. The prose is loose and disorganized, but the conversational tone is a plus. A thread of loneliness runs through the story of his life - difficulty in forming close friendships and lasting marriages, the longing to be known and accepted as the man he is.

The photographs are a treasure. Among other things, they reveal the enormous contrast between Gregory and his older brother Duane. Duane's face and body language exude intensity, intelligence, authority, defiance. The young Gregory is often hiding behind the other men, behind his long hair, looking a bit lost. On stage - hidden behind his 450 pound Hammond B3 organ - he poured himself into his singing and playing, always pushing himself artistically except during the depths of his struggle with alcoholism and drug abuse. While in no way letting himself off the hook for his failures, he rightly concludes that he and the Brothers have brought joy to many. I am thankful for the joy their music has brought me, and thankful that Mr. Allman has overcome so many of his demons and been given the gift of renewed life and a sense of redemption.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Cross to Bear.