Eastofoz's Reviews > The F Word

The F Word by Jesse Sheidlower

Apr 24, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction, dictionaries-ref
Recommended for: Dictionary lovers

An excellent dictionary of the F-word. It includes a brief history and then in dictionary form it shows the myriad of expressions that are an off-shoot of it. It also indicates the origin of the expression, an example in a sentence as well as the year it became popular (when known).

A dictionary AND potential party pleaser, what more could you want ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The F Word.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Julie (jjmachshev) OK if you get this one, I have to hear about it!!
J

Eastofoz LOL Julie! It sounds good. There was a Cambridge publication a while back about taboo words or something like that but I read a few pages and it was soooooo dry! This looks fun AND informative. I'll keep you posted ;)

message 3: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn This sounds neat. I have a very good friend who has a mouth like a sailor...;-)

Julie (jjmachshev) Mouth like a sailor, HAH! I can outdo sailors any day of the week...oh wait, I'm not supposed to be proud of that, right?

message 5: by Stamatia (new)

Stamatia In my country the expression is to have a mouth like a stevedore. And I'm afraid I'm of that persuation myself when provoked.

Eastofoz LOL Julie!

Stamatia, I had to look up "stevedore" --lol! Isn't there some Brit expression about speaking like a fishwife or something?

Turns out this book is out of print so I don't know if I'll be able to get it afterall :(

message 7: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn Well, darn!

message 8: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn East,

Check out this one at Barnes and Noble. It's by a different author. Does it look the same to you?

Eastofoz Kathrynn I checked out the link on the B&B site and it sounds like it has less of a historical trace and more just for fun--sort of like take a Shakespearean quote and stick in the f-word if it were said today, whereas the out of print one seems to trace the evolution of the word in a funny way. Hmmmm. Not good that one is out of print (means that no one really bought it so maybe it's not good) and not good that the one that's still in print hasn't been reviewed on GR (not interesting enough???). I'm going to see if I can get them off one of the swap sites I belong to this way I won't feel like I've thrown away good money. If you get a chance to go to B&N and flip through the book post back to let me know if you think it's worth getting. Thanks for looking :)

message 10: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn Okay, I'll look for in in store when I'm out and about and let you know.

Strange that the covers are both bright yellow in color.

Noone reviewed it on Barnes and Noble, either. hmmm

message 11: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn East, got my hands on the other "F" Word book and it is very different from this one. Just so you know.

Eastofoz Have you read it yet Kathrynn? Any good?

message 13: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn Hey! You found a computer! Nope, don't have this one. Remember when we found that similar book at Barnes and Noble (on-line) and I thought they would be the same or perhaps an updated book of this one?

It was not. The other book was all about jokes using symbols (*&^&*) for the F-word. And I didn't find it funny, either.

I may still try to get my hands on this one as Auntee said she found it several other places...

Eastofoz Good to know :) Ya I managed to get on the computer for a bit--trying to do some quickie catch-up ;)

Eastofoz Julie and Kathrynn if you can get your hands on this one it's well-worth the laughs --oh yeah, and it's informative from a purely sociolinguistic perspective too (lol!) ;)

message 16: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn Okay East. Thanks for the info. :-)

message 17: by Blackbook (new)

Blackbook Found it on Amazon. Looks like it's being released (or re released) in September. Seems fantastic and hilarious.