Claire's Reviews > Fortress in the Eye of Time

F_50x66
May 14, 12

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from May 05 to 14, 2012

Even after finishing this book, I'm still not sure what to make of it. The world Cherryh created intrigues me, but Cherryh's writing style is dense and obscure and reminds me of many of the less endearing qualities of Tolkien's writing (i.e. pages of description that don't ultimately seem to serve a clear purpose). I've read graduate level academic work less dense than this and I had to ask myself why I bothered slogging through this hefty book...the answer was, simply, because I wanted to know what happened in the end. Without giving away too much of the plot I can say that I wasn't disappointed by the ending; Cherryh ties up the immediate story lines and allows others to go unfinished, presumably leading to the next book. I will probably start book 2 and I'm desperately hoping for a less confusing beginning and that the second book picks up where the first ends.

I won't be able to determine if reading this one was worth it until I see how the next one goes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fortress in the Eye of Time.