Marjorie Cocjin's Reviews > Fifty Shades of Grey

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

May 06, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Recommended to Marjorie by: let her remain anonymous. :))
Recommended for: the curious one, romance novel enthusiasts
Read from May 05 to 06, 2012, read count: 1

I heard about this book and immediately took to reading it since a.) it's the current controversial thing, b.) ellen degeneres did a comedy clip about it and c.) it's right up my romance novel phd alley.

First off, this is a romance novel so please, don't take it seriously. The story is pure fantasy from the onset, rich handsome billionaire falls for clumsy imperfect heroine. It's generic, it's been done over and over, it's what they say most women fantasize about and it will probably never happen to you. It's like... you fall flat on your feet in front of the most eligible bachelor in Hollywood (or a young, dashing Jobs/Trump) and he finds you irresistible. Yes... like that happens on a daily basis. So yeah, this is novel is purely escapist.

I have never read a book involving BDSM and despite the reactions online I found it tame and straight forward. The alpha male in this book isn't half the arrogant bastard that most romance novel heroes are. The heroine reacts the way according to her personality: smitten, afraid, curious, hesitant but ultimately smitten. The guy is actually nice. I really didn't expect that, given the description and nature of the book.

This book doesn't strike me as important or game-changing, other than the fact that because of this, herotica is suddenly main stream. It was definitely informative and eye opening as I have never read anything like this before. But other than than those, ah... additional elements, this is one of your basic, run-off-the-mill romance novels wherein domineering tortured alpha meets (insert whatever adjective you want here) heroine. I loved the emotional rollercoaster at the very end. I like it when a book makes me shout with frustration and outrage.

There was a lot of outraged/shocked/LAUGH OUT LOUD/incredulous/disdainful/touched (awww...!)/"I'm endeared!"/"I'm so mad!"/"It's like duh?!" outbursts from me but all in all, it was an entertaining read. :)

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Romance novel PhD??? I'll take that course haha :D