Natalie's Reviews > The Isle of Blood

May 13, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult, spooky, fantasy-magic
Read in May, 2012 , read count: 1

This is an interesting series, one that I stumbled on by accident. I had just watched this super creepy show about a "wendigo" and the next day at the library I happened to see The Curse of the Wendigo on a shelf and was intrigued. I didn't even realize it was the SECOND book in a series until I was about a third of the way through. I never went back and read the first book, but liked it enough to continue on to the third.

This one was a little slower moving than The Curse of the Wendigo. I think the author could have easily knocked out about 200 pages and still had a good story. He also played the philosophical card one too many time. (Though there was some deeply moving parts. I honestly shed a tear or two when Will Henry found that Pellinore had left him.) I understand the point he was making in the end, but it took an awfully long time to get there.

In some ways this is a glorified zombie novel. I think I liked the wendigo better because it was more unique, more unknown. Zombies are sort of "been there, done that." I do like Pellinore, though. Anytime I hear his name, I giggle. And I like the addition of famous characters, such as Mr. Doyle. It makes it fun. I had to go look up Arthur Riambud, so my cultural base was also expanded.

This is an especially good series to recommend to boys. It's dark, morbid, and full of blood and guts.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Isle of Blood.