Ambertronic's Reviews > The Rhinoceros Who Quoted Nietzsche and Other Odd Acquaintances

The Rhinoceros Who Quoted Nietzsche and Other Odd Acquaintances by Peter S. Beagle

Aug 30, 09

bookshelves: short_stories, peter-s-beagle
Read in April, 2008, read count: 2

A hilarious collection of Beagle's work! This one really tickled me for the most part. He includes some real world essays he'd written many years ago, which were okay (and I wondered why he included them with the collection of stories that he did...to temper them emotionally?).

"Professor Gottesman and the Indian Rhinoceros" is by far the voters top pick as far as favorites go, and I fall into that category as well. "Julie's Unicorn" was very odd; it had a flavor of Charles de Lint about it, perhaps that's why it was a surreal read. But a satisfying story none-the-less.

Here's a bit of trivia: did you know that Neil Gaiman's character Death from his Sandman series was inspired by Peter Beagle's "Come Lady Death"? Ask Neil yourself! He made the comment at Balticon 40.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rhinoceros Who Quoted Nietzsche and Other Odd Acquaintances.