Ms. Laina's Reviews > Blood and Chocolate

Jul 31, 12

bookshelves: summer-2012
Read from June 15 to 17, 2012

My rating: 3.5 out of 5

As a fan of werewolves I enjoyed Klause's take on the werewolf, especially in regards to their spirituality. Before reading this book I didn't think werewolves could be religious or spiritual but here they worship Selene, the moon goddess who is the one that gave humans the power to transform into wolves. Interestingly enough, Klause coupled this sense of spirituality with animalistic motivations, which makes her werewolves complex. This I also enjoyed.

What I didn't particularly like about the book was the fact that Vivian was only sixteen. Her motivations are usually sexually-driven, which made me uncomfortable. She could easily be twenty-something. I understand that Klause wanted the characters to have "animal" instincts but they usually turned up as being sexual, which was a bit disappointing.

The book does bring up some good societal issues, however, such as, what happens when the children behave like adults and the adults behave like children? I often found myself hating Vivian's mother because she lacks a motherly personality, causing Vivian to take on the parent role. Plus Vivian acts more mature than her mother.

And as much as I enjoyed Gabriel (24) as a character, I was a teensy bit creeped out by the fact that he was so much older than Vivian (16).

Final thought: all in all I do like the book from a paranormal standpoint. But I do think this book should be for young adults who are more mature and can handle the material/topics found within.

Plot summary:
Blood and Chocolate is a story about 16-year-old Vivian who enjoys being a werewolf. She lives for the change, often relishing it and has all of the male wolves pining for her. But Vivian still grieves for her father and the loss of her childhood home; her pack remains leaderless and in disarray, and she feels lost in the suburbs of Maryland. Things begin to change when Vivian meets Aiden, a young human who appeals to her in a different way than she's used to. Aiden becomes a calm and welcome relief from the chaos at home and she longs to reveal her true identity to him. Meanwhile the pack's new life becomes threatened when a brutal murder occurs.

Characters:
Vivian Gandillon - 16 years-old
Aiden

Key words/issues:relationships, fantasy & magic, werewolves, loup-garou, love & romance

Related books:
The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause
Bitten by Kelley Armstrong
Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood and Chocolate.

06/15/2012 page 32