Claire's Reviews > The Chestnut King

The Chestnut King by N.D. Wilson

Jun 01, 12

bookshelves: read-2012, trilogies
Read from May 25 to June 01, 2012

This is the best one of the series!!! I loved it! I think this is because this book is almost solely told in the other world, whereas the first book was mostly Kansas and the second about half and half. There didn't seem to be a name for this other world - the cities within were named but I guess it doesn't really matter. It is simply more fantastical than our world, what with, witches and wizards, green men and faeren. And best of all... The Raggant! He is the most delightful creature. I was in tears during this book over that raggant! Always in the back of my mind wondering where he is what he's doing. This is a good fantasy story. I love that there is a difference between a wizard and a green man, both use magic but for the green men, they tap into something that is far more natural and earth-based. I was more engaged with this part of the story and (even though I borrowed this from the library) I would seriously consider buying this as a stand alone (also given that I know the history). Fat Frank is a great character as well and bless Henry's brainwave at the end to save him. Also very good imagery, I saw and felt it all!

Favourite Quotes:
'In front of them both stood henry's mother. She looked like her daughters. She looked like something made from trees and starlight. The breeze combed her dark hair. Her eyes caugh the moon's light and threw it back into the world.'

and Frank to Dotty:
'"How many pies do you think I've eaten in my life?" He looked down at her. "Not enough." He smiled. "If we get out of this, there needs to be more pie. That's all the complaining I've got"'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chestnut King.