Jeff Short's Reviews > Wordsmithy: Hot Tips for the Writing Life

Wordsmithy by Douglas Wilson

May 05, 12

bookshelves: writing
Read in May, 2012

Of making many books there is no end, so says Solomon. I would add a corollary: Of making many books about making many books there is no end. In this case, that is a good thing. I have read enough of Doug Wilson that I wasn't surprised at how good this book is. Readable doesn't do it justice even if it is eminently. Wordsmithy is informative, insightful, and entertaining.

I must confess that I audibly chortled a number of times. I maybe even threatened a guffaw. I thought about including some quotes, but that I found them so humorous would unveil a nerdom that I am not sure I am comfortable with in the wild.

I have read a number of books on writing and each had its own bit to pitch in. If you are familiar with how-to's, you will recognize some common advice, but some of it is given much more depth. The chapter on reading provides some worldview and wherefores to the essential prescriptive: Read a lot.

I highly recommend it to writers and wannabe's all the more. This is a book that will help you. It will help you today and even more so years from now if you have ears to hear.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wordsmithy.