Leah K's Reviews > Jacqueline Kennedy: Historic Conversations on Life with John F. Kennedy

Jacqueline Kennedy by Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis

May 21, 12

Read from May 05 to 21, 2012

Jacqueline Kennedy: Historic Conversations on Life with John F. Kennedy by Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, interviews by Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.

★ ★ ★ ★

These interviews took place only months after the assassination of JFK. But you won't hear about the assassination in these interviews (the interviewer chose to steer away from that since she was also doing the Manchester interviews at the same time which did focus on the assassinations. The interviewer had no urge to make her relive the horrific day more than once). Instead, you'll get a candid, very intimate and personal look into the lives of Jacqueline and John Kennedy. Everything from their marriage, to political policies, to kids, to the little things (such JFK's sensitive stomach and napping habits). So beautiful in so many ways.

I am usually content with either the audio version or the paper edition of a book. This is one of the few times I must say that having both is a must. The paper book is much easier to sift through and the pictures are amazing. The book is made to make it easier to read so all the “uh, ah”, mumbling, background noises (planes, walking, etc) and interruptions are obvious taken out. Also, a lot of people are mentioned in the audio version – and are actually explained as footnotes in the book on who they are (and unless you are extremely knowledgeable in 1950s and 60s politics, there will be questions of who these people are) . However, listening to the actual recording of, what I think, is one of the greatest women ever was absolutely awe-inspiring. And when John Jr. walks in, hearing his 4 year old voice saying he knows his dad “has gone to Heaven” was so heart crushing. The emotions and the voices are something the book can't hold.

My only complaint is I wish Jackie would have delved a little more into their personal life and her own. There was a lot on JFK's political policies and how he and Jackie felt about every political person of the period. But given that John Kennedy was a politician, it seems logical. And I've heard people complain that Jackie's thoughts on marriage and the role of the wife is dated. Well..obviously people. It was an interview by a woman born in the 1920s and married in the 1950s. Putting today's thoughts and standards on history's thoughts just doesn't work. I enjoyed the book but it wasn't one I could sit down and go through in one sitting. I could only handle a little bit at a time.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jacqueline Kennedy.

05/12/2012 page 59
show 6 hidden updates…

message 1: by Carolin (new)

Carolin wanted to buy this book, too. I'm curious to read how you like it :)

Leah K I'm finally getting to this book. So far it is quite good. I am usually fine with either an audio version or paper version of a book but this is a rare situation that I would suggest having both at the same time.

message 3: by Carolin (new)

Carolin Why is that?

Leah K The audio is the interview, obviously. It's completely untouched so there is a lot of background noise, interruptions, etc. But it's amazing to hear Jacqueline Kennedy in a rare interview. The book is a great companion to read along with. It has a lot of notes on people randomly mentioned throughout the interview and is a cleaner version, omitting all the interruptions, pauses, etc. And there are many great pictures on the book.

message 5: by Carolin (new)

Carolin sounds good! I thought there would only be the book with Jacquies interview included but this combined edition seems to be really interesting.