Sally's Reviews > Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back

Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo

May 07, 12

bookshelves: borrowed-from-library, christian-non-fiction, inspirational
Read from May 05 to 07, 2012

This is another of those books I picked up because I'd heard about it so often. Eventually, I figured I had to read it for myself.

And then I read the reviews. Wow, so much hate and rejection. I can't remember all the arguments against it, but I'll try to answer the few I do remember.

1. I don't believe the Burpos were bad parents regarding Colton's illness. The first doctor said stomach flu, a plausible theory given his sister also became ill. The second doctor at a hospital DISMISSED appendicitis. We're told that everyone should go for another opinion if they can. Pastor and Mrs Burpo did which, in a rural area, involved a drive.

2. Much of what Colton speaks about can be found in Revelation. Have you read Revelation? I've done Bible studies on it and I still sometimes struggle to wrap my mind around it all. If Pastor Burpo had talked and preached about this book, I don't know that a four year old could have understood it and broken it down into simple terms.

3. Some people asked why the story took so long to be published. The book was published in 2010. It seems that the family didn't make Colton's story public until 2007. It then took a while for the idea of turning into a book to be developed. Pastor Burpo probably wasn't able to spend concentrated amounts of time writing, given his other responsibilities. I know of full-time novelists who can only produce one book a year.

4. Then there are those who just dismiss the idea of Jesus, eternal life, heaven and hell. Why do they think they know better? I would rather believe in salvation and be wrong (because if there isn't anything, we'll never know we were wrong), than dismiss it and find myself standing before those pearly gates and looking down at the flames *gulp*

Finally, many seem to dismiss the whole thing as a fake. I wonder how they can say this for sure. Can anyone know for sure? I'm going to choose to believe it. Should a member of the family eventually come forward and say it's a lie then I'll reconsider. In the meantime, treat this book as a beautiful tale of a child's-eye view of heaven and death. And didn't Jesus say we were to approach as children, with a childlike faith?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven is for Real.

05/05/2012 page 109