Brenda's Reviews > Dead Scared

Dead Scared by S.J. Bolton

May 27, 12

bookshelves: arc, 2012-release, net-galley, own-read
Read from May 10 to 14, 2012 — I own a copy

This psychological thriller was totally riveting, and I found myself unable to put it down, while being horrified at the events that were unfolding!

Detective Constable Lacey Flint and Detective Inspector Mark Joesbury have a history together, so coming together in a new case is unsettling for them both, with the tension obvious from the start. Cambridge University has been experiencing an unusually high number of suicides over the past few years, and there is concern that they are not suicides after all.

Joesbury installs Lacey undercover at the university, as Laura Farrow, vulnerable student, just to observe, not investigate. The only person who knows who she really is, is Evi Oliver, psychologist at the University, and the one who had contacted the police in the first place. Evi has her own physical and emotional problems, and struggles with pain continually.

When she enters the university, Laura goes into a share room with another student, Tox, and learns she’s taking the place of Bryony, who recently attempted suicide, and who is now in hospital in a critical condition.

Soon Laura is investigating the students, finding out what she can, against Joesbury’s direct orders. As she discovers they all had bad dreams and being terrified in common, she can’t let it go, and the more she finds out, the more she realizes something incredibly evil and sinister is happening. She feels Evi needs help, that she’s also in danger, and when Laura meets Dr Nick Bell, who seems to be showing an unhealthy interest in Bryony, her suspicions are further aroused.

As Laura starts to put things together, she begins experiencing some very strange ‘episodes’ herself. The danger is escalating, and horrifying, spine chilling events keep occurring. Is Laura/Lacey going to be able to find the killers before she is another statistic...is Joesbury going to be able to get Lacey out before it’s too late?

I absolutely loved this thriller, gruesome though it was. It was a little disjointed, but I feel that is because it is an ARC copy. The storyline was brilliant, woven together very cleverly. I recommend this to all thriller lovers, especially the ones who love the psychological aspects of a story!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Scared.