Patty's Reviews > A Beautiful Blue Death

A Beautiful Blue Death by Charles Finch

1020899
May 05, 12

bookshelves: 2012, crime, fiction, mystery, murder, london, historical-fiction, charles-lenox, amateur-detective, england
Read in May, 2012

This book's arrival in my reading pile was total serendipity. I don't usually read mysteries; I listen to them so I don't cheat and read the last page first. However, I was looking for something to read at one of our libraries and the title of this book jumped out at me. This volume and the third were sitting together waiting for me to find them.

Charles Lenox is the product of his time which is the Victorian era. However, he is willing to consider that some modernizations are a good thing. He is an aristocrat with time on his hands so solving mysteries is both a job and entertainment.

I think Charles Finch has picked an interesting era for his mysteries. The Scotland Yard has only been around a couple of decades so folks are still not sure what their role is in solving murders; life is changing with manufacturing so money is not just something aristocrats have and science and exploration is a big part of life for Britain.

For some reason, probably the pace this book reminds me of Laurie R. King's Sherlock Holmes series. I know I want to read more about Charles Lenox and I will continue to resist reading that last page.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Beautiful Blue Death.