Cecelia Hightower's Reviews > Caravans

Caravans by James A. Michener

May 05, 2012

bookshelves: betty

My book for April happened by circumstance. I was going through my book cases, and found this older, yellowed page pocketbook. The book is "Caravans" by James A. Michener.
The book was published in 1963, almost fifty years ago, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel since it is about Afganistan and is so apropos to the country today. Michener, in all of his books, does a tremendous amount of research, and even though the book is a novel, the story, experiences of the people involved, and the description of the land and the people is accurate. In the "Note to the Reader, Michener states at the beginning, "The scene of this novel is the Kingdom of Afghanistan in 1946. Conditions are described as they existed in that year and as truthfully as research and memory will permit."

Well, I was really moved, both positively and negatively, by the situations that occurred. I learned more about the location of the country and surrounding countries, the relationship to Russia at that time, and about the intrigue and ongoing distrust of other countries as well as certain people within their country. Intrique, intrique, intrique. Of course, there is relationships among the different characters exposing different personalities and different agendas.

I truly enjoyed reading this book again, especially with the world situation being what it is.

Another fact, that I found interesting that has nothing to do with the story, is the size of the "pocketbook". It measures 4 inches by 8 inches. It looks very small in my bookcase along with all the current larger sized paperbacks. Is this possibly progress?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caravans.