Tonileg's Reviews > The Tale of Murasaki

The Tale of Murasaki by Liza Dalby

May 05, 12

bookshelves: re-readable

I really loved this book. I really loved The Tale of Genji and I first read it in high school when all my emotions and passion felt stronger because I was feeling them for the first time. So that classic Heian period novel really touched me in its honest portrayal of a flawed but terribly charming Prince Genji.
So when I heard that there was a fiction book out about the author's life...well, I bought it right away and devoured it in one day.
This is beautifully written and a great starter for people that don't know anything about Japanese classic culture (most of it happens around year 1000 of our modern calendar) with lots of gems for people that do know about that Golden period of Japanese history.
This is fictional as there is little to nothing known about the Lady author Murasaki Shikibu to the Tale of Genji, but she was a lower noble that had a view into the high society as well as being a creative genius. So she is well worthy of a book or two.
Go head and name one Lady author from the same period in Europe.
I'll wait while you think about it.
Still waiting...
So just think about how great Murasaki Shikibu was to be a published famous author at that time anywhere in the world. How many women even knew how to read, much less write in Europe!
4 stars. (5 stars for the actual Genjimonogatari The Tale of Genji )
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tale of Murasaki.