Sally's Reviews > The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection

The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection by Alexander McCall Smith

May 09, 12

Read from May 05 to 06, 2012

This latest episode with Mma Ramotswe and her family, friends and clients continues the thoughtful presentation of interesting stories that Alexander McCall Smith has developed for the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series. I enjoyed this as much as all the previous ones. I would recommend this series to anyone, although to get the full benefit of the characters' development and the sense of place, reading all of them in order would bring many hours of pleasure.

Perhaps if this were the only one of the series I had read, the commentaries on how wonderful Botswana is - it's landscape, people, sense of family and polite social interactions - would be a breath of fresh air. However, the author says these same things in all of the books, so I'm a little tired of that repetition. For me, that is the only thing that keeps this series from reaching perfection.

For anyone interested in the other books by McCall Smith, I would also recommend the 44 Scotland Street series, in which you will fall in love with little six-year-old Bertie yet grind your teeth when you have to wait for the next book to be published in the US. I also liked the Portuguese Irregular Verbs series, which are quirky but fun. The Sunday Philosophy Club series were OK for the first couple of books, but I eventually got tired and irritated with the main character, Isabel Dalhousie. I haven't read any of the Corduroy Mansion series, and I thought La's Orchestra Saves the Day was very weak and not worth the time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection.