Sara's Reviews > Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do

Traffic by Tom Vanderbilt

Aug 06, 14

bookshelves: nonfiction, psychology
Read in May, 2011

Are you one of those people who is infuriated by stupid drivers? Do you feel a surge of road rage when drivers zoom past and then try to jump into the merging lane just before the other lane closes? Does it seem like traffic is worse now than ever before? Or are you a passenger in the car of a driver who refuses to acknowledge that he should really share the road with others? “Traffic” is a highly readable look at the culture of driving: subtitled “Why we drive the way we do (and what it says about us),” this book is a little history, a little science, a little psychology all wrapped up around the topic of our modern transportation of choice.

This is a great book to hand to your backseat driver, although they may end up using it against you! Some of the findings in it will probably run counter to your own driving habits, or at least make you feel a little guilty. It may also lead you to reconsider some of your transportation choices. And for anyone who is trying to cut back on driving (and who isn’t these days, with the cost of gas), there are plenty of arguments in this book to help make your case.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Traffic.