Samantha's Reviews > Sula

Sula by Toni Morrison

May 05, 12

bookshelves: 11th-grade-advisory
Read in March, 2012

Sula and Nel are two different people coming from two different backgrounds: Sula’s home was filled with various people and a powerful, eccentric matriarch, while Nel’s home was complete with just her mother, who wanted her to grow up to be a good person. However, both Sula and Nel grow fond of each other and form a strong bond that lasts them many years. When they grow up, Nel decides to stay at the Bottom, while Sula travels across the country. Eventually, Sula comes home, and with her arrival comes a wave of emotional destruction.

There were a few points that I found were similar to ones in Beloved, like the idea of returning to your roots, family, the power of women, the dependence on men, etc. However, this was a big contrast to Beloved at the same time; although male characters were involved, they didn’t play a large role in this novel. It also showed a contrast between different types of women (Sula and Nel, for example). I felt all of the characters were developed really well in this, and I was able to picture everything that was going on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sula.