Chris's Reviews > The Beatles

The Beatles by Hunter Davies

May 05, 12

Read in January, 2012

The classic first biography of the Beatles. I read the updated, updated (again) version. The original book ended with the band still together. That's where this version ends too, but it contains an afterward with reflections on how quickly the band went from tight friendship to nasty bickering, but not many other details. Davies points out that this period of the band's life has been well-documented other places. It would have been great, though, if Davies had originally followed the band through to the bitter end. Since he was on the inside with the band, recording the events as they happened, this book is like getting a window right into their world. I can see why it's been so popular for so long. Personally, I really enjoyed reading it. It was fascinating seeing the context in which the Beatles became a band, how they went from a group of kids playing music to great performers, and of course the rise of Beatlemania and its effects on the band, their families, and the rest of the world.

This was truly a fun read and sent me off on a bit of a Beatles kick. Next steps if I get the time (not likely):
- Listen to their albums in chronological order. Just have to get my hands on them, they're definitely not on Spotify.
- Watch the various Beatles movies--well, maybe not all of them.
- Check out 1 or 2 of the best documentaries.

And yes, I am posting this review 4 months after I read the book. Better late than never.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beatles.