Cecily's Reviews > The Dragon Keeper

The Dragon Keeper by Robin Hobb

May 05, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, farseer
Read in April, 2012

This was the first in the quartet of Robin Hobb's excellent Rainwilds Chronicles. I put off reading it for a long time simply because I am so madly in love with the Farseer/Tawny man saga that it was hard for me to think of shifting the focus over to the Rainwilds.

However, I decided to reread the Liveship Traders Trilogy just for fun and that was SO GOOD (again) that I needed MORE of that world. Bingtown, the Rainwilds, the Elderlings, dragons, and the Liveships. So I picked up Dragon Keeper and dove in.

It took me a while to get going as Hobb has to spend no small amount of time on the exposition. This is a completely new set of characters with their own problems. We get glimpses of Althea and Brashen, but everyone else is new.

Once the newness is past, the story picks up and sweeps you right along. And WHAT a story. Man, I'm so glad Hobb thought of something new and epic to write about in this universe because it just doesn't get old. I'm mostly annoyed that it's an unfinished series. Alas, I shall probably get over it soon.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dragon Keeper.