Samantha's Reviews > Revenge of the Witch

Revenge of the Witch by Joseph Delaney

May 09, 2012

liked it
Read from May 05 to 07, 2012

This is one of those books that I wish I had read years ago. It was published in 2005 and has been sitting on the shelf in many of the school libraries I've worked in. Glad I finally got around to reading it! Tom is not only the seventh son of a seventh son, but his mother also has "peculiar" healing powers and seems to "know" things. Both Tom and his mother are left-handed, which is a sure sign of sorcery in Tom's time. In fact, witches, boggarts, ghasts, and ghosts and all the superstitions or traditions surrounding them are an every day part of Tom's life and that of his village. As he turns 13, Old Gregory, the community's "Spook", visits Tom's home and agrees to take him on as his apprentice. It is Old Gregory's job to bind boggarts, trap witches, and deal with ghosts and ghasts who trouble the living. Tom has certain gifts as the seventh son and his mother's son that make him a prime candidate to follow Old Gregory as the next Spook, but since the other 29 apprentices never made it to that title, will Tom be able to? As Tom learns how to be a Spook and how to overcome his fears, he makes mistakes that could endanger him, his family, and Old Gregory. This is the first in a series. Some very vivid and frightening images. Middle grades and up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revenge of the Witch.