Becky's Reviews > Pictograms, Icons, and Signs

Pictograms, Icons, and Signs by Rayan Abdullah

Sep 10, 08

bookshelves: design, age-adult-books, nonfiction
Read in September, 2008

I could have spent many more hours with this book! Especially interesting were the examples of confusing signs ("no entry for birds"?), signs in foreign countries, airport signs (some of them I could not understand! what I thought was "questions about umbrellas" was "lost and found"), and Olympics Games designs for each of the Games from the last few decades. I also liked the academic approach of this book: definitions (iconogram vs. ideogram vs. pictogram). At the end, the author even proposes an entire Icon Language, with sentence construction and everything, as the ultimate universal language. Pretty fascinating, considering most modern alphabet letters began as picture-based symbols and evolved to what we have today. Would an Icon Language be a step forward or backward, or is there no such thing -- only repetition and the swing of the pendulum? Hmmm...road signs make me way too philosophical.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pictograms, Icons, and Signs.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gwen (new) - added it

Gwen This sounds most interesting. I would not normally seek out such a book, but your review makes me putting on my to-reads--I collect simple graphics for quilt designs. Sounds like there ould be some witty ones here. Thanks!

Becky Oh! I for one would love if I ever saw a quilt with sign graphics and "sign people" on it! :) Sort of a homespun-meets-urban look. You should try that!

message 3: by Gwen (new) - added it

Gwen Homespun meets urban. I LOVE it! I will HAVE to get this book soon. Is it a recent publish or has it been around a while? Incidentally, I have been told by my quilt quild members that I have a contemporary flair (ha, flair) because I don't do all those calicoey prints with traditional designs anymore. I hate "country!" and like bigger bolder simpler lines and geometrics (like what appears to be in this book). I've outgrown florals (blech) unless its modern looking.

Self-righteous in my tastes, these days. I think that means I'm approaching menopause. Somebody said that, not me.

Becky I think it was published in 2006, so it's still fairly recent. I think you should take your contemporary flair and run with this idea!