Victoria Allman's Reviews > Final Sail

Final Sail by Elaine Viets

May 05, 12

Helen Hawthorne is at it again. In the latest installment of Elaine Viets' funny and well-crafted mystery series, Helen finds herself as both a preacher and a stewardess on a yacht--two very different roles for this P.I. to undertake--in an attempt to solve both a murder and stop an emerald-smuggler. Both cases intertwine to expose Helen to the rich and privileged behaving very badly. The often humorous characters are spot-on and will leave you laughing and cringing at the same time; all the while rooting for Helen to solve the case and escape from the wacky world of the wealthy. This is a fast-paced page-turner with the continuing story of Helen and her new life as a wife and old life as woman hiding out from the law expertly woven in.

Eleven books into the series, Dead-End Jobs shows no signs of slowing down or getting stale.

As yacht crew myself, I must say, Viets nailed the life of a crew member. I only hope I never have to work for such guests as Helen had onboard. From the endless hours without sleep to the never-ending cycles of laundry, Helen is thrown into the world of yachting where it is sink or swim.

Final Sail was a thrill to read and left me wanting number twelve in the series to come out soon.

Victoria Allman
author of: SEAsoned: A Chef's Journey with Her Captain
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Final Sail.