El's Reviews > Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? by Edward Albee

May 05, 12

bookshelves: cuckoos, thespian-stuff, library-borrow
Read on May 05, 2012

This falls under that category labelled AWKWARD SOCIAL GATHERING.

You ever been to a party where the host and hostess get totally hammered and spend the rest of the evening humiliating each other? If you haven't, I don't believe you, number one, and number two, you're a lucky bastard. It's awkward and uncomfortable and lemme tell you, it's not much better if you're the drunken host and hostess either. No one's having a good time, no matter how much liquor is consumed, keep that in mind.

The theater around the corner from us was showing this movie recently and I went to see it on the big screen because it's been a really long time since I've seen it and I wondered how I felt about it as an adult. I realized I remembered very little of it to begin with, and I certainly didn't find it nearly as uncomfortable the first time I watched it as I did this time. Oy.

In any case, watching it again made me realize I never read the actual play all the way through, though occasionally we'd be assigned monologues from it in my theater classes, or I'd have to sit through people performing scenes from it from time to time. But I never actually gave Albee's play the attention it deserved. (Certainly if you've seen the movie, you know the play, though they both deserve attention.)

This is truly one messed up little play, and Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton played their characters extremely well. Too well, one might suggest. Volatile was what they were known for, so they filled their roles beautifully.

It's a hard play to read, there are no winners here. You think Charlie Sheen is crazy? George and Martha could be his parents. It's not an easy movie to watch either, because there you have a visual. You want to hate all of the four characters, yet you feel for all four of the characters at the same time. It's very complicated that way, but overall it makes you never want to attend a social gathering ever again.

Probably makes you think twice about hosting one too.
14 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?.