Catherine's Reviews > Above

Above by Leah Bobet

May 06, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: did-not-finish, read-in-2012, young-adult, reviewed

So…four percent into this and I’m really struggling with the writing style of this book, to the point that I keep having to reread sentences and actually think it through to make sense of what the author is trying to say.

Another thing I’m really annoyed with is that when I started this book and the protagonists’ name wasn’t mentioned, I assumed he was a girl. So there I was, picturing this person as a female with a female voice, and suddenly I find out he’s actually a guy.

Needless to say, I LOL’d.

I’ve never really thought about this when reading other books, but I think an author should always make it clear from the start whether the protagonist is male or female.

***

Nine percent into this book, and I'm ready to give up. I can't tell whether the book is written the way it is because it's in the POV of a guy who grew up in an underground refuge and therefore has never had a proper education and can't speak properly, or if it's simply the way the author writes. Either way, it is really, really irritating.

***

OK. Eleven percent, and I'm done. It's making my head hurt.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Above.

message 1: by Sophie (new)

Sophie I'll make sure I give it a miss :P

Catherine You do that! I promise you won't regret it :)

Hannah I am reading it now, and I just gave up. you're so right with the writing style! For me, it's impossible to read and so annoying! And I would rather have it be a girl.