Jill Hutchinson's Reviews > Hitler's Hangman: The Life of Heydrich

Hitler's Hangman by Robert Gerwarth

May 08, 12

bookshelves: biography, wwi-wwii
Read from May 05 to 08, 2012

An amazing biography of one of the most evil men of the Third Reich who surprisingly has not had as much written about him as have Hitler's other acolytes. Reinhard Heydrich came from an upper middle class, cultured, and musical family but turned to the Nazi party in 1931 and became one of the most violent and virulent anti-Semites in the party leadership. On his shoulders rests, at least in part, the responsibility for the "final solution" (more commonly known as The Holocaust) as he and his minions devised a plan for "racial cleansing" which has continued to horrify the world to the present day. He was assassinated in Prague in 1942 and his death caused Germany to visit mass retaliation on Czechoslovakia, especially the murder of all the citizens of Lidice and the razing of that village to the ground.
The author had access to notes, diaries, meeting minutes and other documents to put together this unbiased and chilling biography of a man, who if he hadn't been assassinated, would have stood in the dock at Nuremberg and without a doubt been sentenced to death.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hitler's Hangman.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alistair (new)

Alistair My thought is, do books like this glorify the evil person and make them live on? OR is it right to highlight evil doing as a warning for the future? Just don't know.

Jill Hutchinson Alistair wrote: "My thought is, do books like this glorify the evil person and make them live on? OR is it right to highlight evil doing as a warning for the future? Just don't know."

I think that we have to learn about people who played a part in shaping events....whether they are good or evil......and maybe a warning for the future. I have read several books about Hitler's inner circle and they provided, at least to me, some understanding of the circumstances that brought these villains to power. I will say that the author of this book clearly described the horror wrought by this individual and it is cold as ice.