Bonnie's Reviews > Fall on Your Knees

Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald

F 50x66
May 05, 2012

bookshelves: popular-fiction

This book sat on my shelf for years; the story looked interesting, but epic novels are not generally my cup of tea. I was laying in bed ill, and decided that if I was going to dive into this book, this was the time. I am so glad I did. These characters frame a fascinating and historically edifying (at least for me) tale. I have gotten so used to reading novels where the story serves to illuminate a character study that I had forgotten how brilliant a tale can be where the characters exist to serve the story. The main characters are not particularly likeable, they do things that are inexplicable, they are all at one time or another cruel and nearly everything they do which has an actual purpose(especially those things done in the name of God) is ultimately self-serving. And that gives the reader the opportunity to swim around in the story itself and to see things through his/her own eyes rather than those of the favorite characters. A recommended read. Not perfect to be sure, some characters are ciphers (Lily) many unnecessary, adding only clutter to the story (Camille and Teresa), and the story runs off the rails on occassion, but overall more than worth your time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fall on Your Knees.