Ange (Libby Blog) Schmelzer's Reviews > Me...Jane

Me...Jane by Patrick McDonnell

May 05, 2012

Read in May, 2012

Jane and her stuffed toy chimpanzee, Jubilee, went everywhere together. They watched birds, the studied squirrels and even observed the miracle of a chicken laying an egg. All of this prepares Jane to live her dreams later in life of living and working with animals.

My 5-year-old's thoughts: It was really good. I really liked the stamps and the paintings, especially the sun. It's really cool.

My thoughts: This was a cute way to learn a bit about Jane Goodall's childhood. My littlest really enjoyed the shapes and images which reminded her of stamps in the background on the pages. She began to count them as we got to each page. She was really impressed that Jane could be so still and quiet that a chicken would feel safe laying an egg nearby. I really liked the ending where it shifted to a drawing of Jane as an adult waking up in a field tent and then the next page was an actual image of her reaching out to a baby ape. This was another Caldecott Honor Book from this year that we wanted to check out and I'm glad we did. It made us both curious about who Jane was and what she did with animals.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me...Jane.