Rachel's Reviews > Bound

Bound by Donna Jo Napoli

May 05, 12

bookshelves: young-adult-lit
Read in May, 2012

Ouch! Just reading this book made my feet hurt! When Stepmother came out with a cleaver I just about puked! Great story though. I really like Napoli's writing; it's interesting how she uses so much research in her books to place them appropriately in their origin. My only issue with this book was that the golden shoe thing seemed highly unlikely. But, then again, it is fiction. The problem I had with this was that, if all the women's feet are bound, wouldn't at least one of them fit in the shoe better than hers did, because they were all relatively the same shape? I also felt like the medicine man portion of the book was a bit random because it didn't seem to tie into much else of the story once she left, but I guess Xing Xing had to go on some sort of adventure at some point. Good read overall, but I'm not sure it's necessarily my favorite book.

Warnings:

Sex--There are a few references and when Xing Xing travels on one man's cart, she ultimately jumps off for fear of losing her virtue. There is nothing graphic, however.

Violence--Well, I think the treatment of their feet is violent, but we never see a scene depicting the actual foot-breaking. However, Stepmother does chop off her daughter's toes, even though we don't actually see the act.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bound.