Jacqueline's Reviews > Touched by Fire

Touched by Fire by Kathleen O'Reilly

Sep 10, 12

bookshelves: trope-hero-introverted, trope-hero-misfit, trope-hero-beta, trope-angst-ridden, genre-romance-historical-regency, genre-romance-historical, trope-hero-job-military-war-hero, classified-as-dnf, trope-fairy-tale-cinderella, trope-fairy-tale-retelling, trope-forbidden-love, trope-hero-fallen, trope-hero-recluse, trope-hero-tortured, trope-heroine-across-the-tracks, trope-heroine-bluestocking, trope-heroine-fallen-woman, trope-heroine-hoyden-or-spirited, trope-heroine-in-pursuit, trope-heroine-job-owned-business, trope-heroine-misfit, trope-heroine-working-class, trope-rags-to-riches-vice-versa, trope-hero-virgin-or-virginesque
Recommended for: No one, because I hate insta-love.
Read from September 03 to 10, 2012, read count: Not even once

Pages Survived: 75

Nope. Couldn't do it. The second an author goes for the "insta-love" deal, I'm done.

Aside from the above fact, I truly abhor when authors take a character, establish them to be of one mindset, and in less than two chapters completely changes their drives, motivations, and actions from the original! While I was SO intrigued, and still am, by the hero, who obviously has an interesting psyche and mental framework to delve into, the heroine just killed me. The novel literally establishes her to be a no nonsense woman, not fickle with her heart. There's some bit about "sherry eyes," a random spotting of That Guy From Her Dreams, and WHAM-O...she's googly-eyed and hot in pursuit.

Normally this in-pursuit reality wouldn't bug me, because I'm okay with the female protagonist being on the chase. I am NOT okay with it, however, when said chase is a total antithesis from the character's initial makeup from two friggin' chapters ago.

So, alas, no go for this book. On to better and brighter books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touched by Fire.

09/03/2012 page 27
9.0% "I'm definitely intrigued by these characters! Though, sadly, the introduction between the two main characters was kind of weirdly awkward."
09/07/2012 page 74
25.0% "I like both the characters, especially the hero, but I'm so not buying the chemistry, nor the I'm-spontaneously-in-love-with-this-stranger trope. It's weird."