Jennifer S's Reviews > Trapped

F 50x66
May 05, 2012

bookshelves: informational-texts
Read on May 05, 2012

Marc Aronson a well- known young adult author creates another masterpiece. The last chapter in the book titled, “How I Wrote this Book,” speaks directly to the art of researching. He provides useful research tips that helped him while researching and that he feels could be useful to students having to write research reports. For example, “The main problem with the Internet as a resource is not that it has inaccurate information. Of course it does, and Wikipedia, the number one landing place on many search lists, sometimes does. The largest problem with researching on the Net is that it gives you a false sense of bounty—as if there were so much there a keystroke away (109).” While researching this topic of interest, Aronson dug through sources and new reports, and conducted many interviews to get the most accurate account of this incredible journey.

On August 5, 2010 a collapse in the San Jose Chilean mine traps thirty-three miners 2,300 feet below ground level. On October 13, 2010, sixty-nine days later, all thirty-three miners are safely brought to the surface in the Phoenix capsule. This book takes you on the journey from start to finish of the many heroic events and people who vigorously worked to save these miners’ lives. The text is written in chronological order starting with the collapse on August 5th and regressing to 40 million years ago and then jumps back to August 5th through October 13th. During the chapter from 40 million years ago, Aronson describes a brief history of Copiapo, Chile and the mine, which outlines the reasoning for mining and how it began in San Jose. During the rescue, there were many complex hurdles, which Aronson tackles with detailed description that allows readers to understand the discourse used in mining. Students and adults alike will gravitate to this book because of the intrigue and desire to see these miners survive. The behind the scenes heroes came to the forefront in this book. Numerous unknown captivating facts and innovative techniques were explained as an essential part of this survival mission. Aronson enlightens readers by providing the needed facts, excellent documentation, and a connection to the people involved.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trapped.

message 1: by 529_allie (new)

529_allie This seems like a wonderful book. Many intermediate students and up may remember seeing this story on the news, so it would be of particular interest to them. I also like that he gave students information on researching since so often they rely on the unreliable internet.

Jennifer S Allie,
This book was really great and I think the students would absolutely love it. There is a great part about the Math and how the rescue workers used simple math calculations to figure the size of the hole to save the miners.

message 3: by Margaret (new)

Margaret It sounds like this book could be linked to several subjects,social studies for Chile, science for mining, math for figuring out answers needed, and research to show how successful research is done.

595AJ_JenniferMcCoy I loved how you and Sunday were so passionate about this book! I am about to start reading it. I would love to read it to my summer school students and then show then footage of the actual rescue. I wa GLUED to the tv for two days!

529_Amalia You talked about during our last session how your student's always become interested in any books that you are reading. Would you use this book as a "free read" for your students or do you think you would add it to your curriculum if possible? And how would use it in your curriculum? I also read this book and really enjoyed it but not sure how you would use it in the classroom besides as a “free read”.