Sarah's Reviews > Holiness for Everyone: The Practical Spirituality of St. Josemaria Escriva

Holiness for Everyone by Eric Sammons

May 08, 12

bookshelves: 2012-list
Read on May 05, 2012

I'm a big fan of Eric Sammons and his book-writing. When he wrote me and asked me to take a look at this one, I couldn't say no. His last book was one of my favorites, after all, and I was curious after seeing the title to this one.

It's not a biography, but more like a braid of St. Josemaria's wisdom and spirituality and the life we all struggle to live. Sammons does a great job of keeping it real, of making the theories into practices that apply even to me.

I found myself marking this book, thinking of the people I would share it with, and considering rereading it, right away, so that I could tackle it more slowly, in a more devotional way.

I have a copy of The Way around here somewhere (I think it's tucked in a drawer of devotional stuff), and I remember enjoying the little tidbits within it. It ended up tucked away because...well, we moved, I had other things to focus on, and on and on.

Sammons compiles St. Josemaria's writings and thoughts into his own, using them to punctuate the point he's making and demonstrate the example we should strive to set.

I was a bit surprised how I enjoyed this book, honestly. I agree with the premise: holiness IS for everyone, yes. But I don't necessarily want to be told how to be holy. I don't quite have enough humility within me to accept a sermon, but the way Sammons and St. Josemaria pair up, it's like a talk with a good friend.

Sammons reclaims the word "spirituality" from the wet-behind-the-ears and rather lame approach so many people have to it and makes it something tangible. It's not easy, he makes clear, but it's also not any harder than so many other things. "Holiness is not," he writes, "a matter of following certain rules set down by a superior. Nor is it a predestined result that God determines for certain members of his creation. Holiness, rather, is a living relationship between a loving child who wants to please his father and a father who gives his child everything he needs to succeed."

Holiness is about family, and our family, he reminds us, using the in-the-dirt-of-life rationale of St. Josemaria, is comprised first and foremost of God himself.

Highly recommended, especially if you're weary of spiritual reading, looking for a light in the tunnel, and maybe just looking for refreshment in your faith journey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holiness for Everyone.