Paul's Reviews > Atlas Shrugged

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

May 05, 12

bookshelves: dystopian
Read on May 05, 2012

There were numerous times when slogging through this book that I wanted to ram my head into a brick wall. Sometimes this urge was due to Rand's repetition. More often, it was due to reading the descriptions of a crumbling society and then experiencing similar details on a daily basis.

I do not agree with all of the tenets of objectivism. But I do agree that economic producers have been vilified and those who produce nothing of substance have been glorified.

Atlas Shrugged gets five stars from me not because of the writing, the characters, the plot or the dialogues. It receives five stars because Rand predicted with such precision what is happening today and has been happening for years. Complacency, stupidity, dependency and mediocrity have become the norm.

There are certainly better written works of dystopian fiction. But there may be none more accurate in describing the gentle and slow path to hell. Atlas Shrugged is worth the time and effort. And when you're done, be sure to check the canned goods in the basement.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Atlas Shrugged.