Lucy Furr's Reviews > Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman

Where Men Win Glory by Jon Krakauer

May 06, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, militarily-speaking
Read from May 05 to 06, 2012

Having read (and re-read) a lot of Krakauer over the years I was surprised at first by the clearly biased tone the book hit pretty much right out of the gate. Usually Krakauer is an unbiased reporter, so it was a bit of a twist to read something where he has so clearly chosen a side to speak from.

That being said...

I can understand his bias and can see how it would have been very difficult to have acted any other way when writing about the cover-up surrounding Pat Tillman's death. Writers like Krakauer write about the things that move them, the people that inspire them and the events that make them go "Seriously? What the fuck?". If this had been written by anyone else, I doubt so many people would be making a fuss about the biased nature of the book. They just would have written it off as leftist and left it at that (For the record, I myself am neither left nor right, but somewhere smack in the middle of all the chaos).

As for the book itself, it was a pretty solid read, and if it hadn't been for life obligations like work and the occasional need for sleep, I probably would have read this straight through. Krakauer's writing, is as always, smooth and interesting, although at times he did seem to be jumping around from event to event, but hey, there was a lot of ground to cover. There were some bits of historical information that kind of dragged from time to time, but I've come to expect that from a book of this nature.

If you want the facts, this is the book to read, you get the facts, and the story of Tillman's short life. Yes, you get the bias too, but I'll never understand why people are so turned off by someone giving their opinions (in non-fiction at least, fiction is a totally different ballpark as far as I'm concerned).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where Men Win Glory.