SJ's Reviews > Lab Rat One

Lab Rat One by Andrea K. Höst

May 18, 12

liked it
Read from May 05 to 18, 2012

Again, I'm just so conflicted about how to rate or review this series. On the one hand... It's sort of boring.

No, wait, that's not quite right.

The story is interesting and clever and quite a mystery. Yet, again, I hate that it's written as a diary because it lacks fire and emotion and a sense that characters are fragile and something bad can happen to them. You always know everything is basically going to be okay because if anything truly bad had happened, the main character wouldn't be able to write an account of it anymore. Major battle scenes have the same generic tone as the everyday.

It also felt very repetitive with lots of the main character having small mini adventures, then passing out or falling asleep and then having tests done on her. Although it supported the story title somewhat, a lot of that could have probably been cut out entirely.

Speaking of the title, it had a much more ominous tone than what was actual, leaving me waiting for horrible mind altering things to happen which never occurred. The first one in the series should have been called Lab Rat One and the second should have been Touchstone.

BUT! (Here is that but again.)

I liked it. I really did, and I can't wait to read the next one. It felt like a bad Syfy series on a rainy Sunday. It's easy and comforting and low key while juuuust keeping your interest at a level that makes you want more. I've already started the next one, regardless of the issues and I'm not sorry I own it. Soooo, yeah. 3.5 stars for me.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lab Rat One.