Kelly H. (Maybedog)'s Reviews > Unshapely Things

Unshapely Things by Mark Del Franco

May 05, 2012

bookshelves: what-modern-fantasy, what-lgbtq, why-favorite-series, why-favorite-author, why-favorite, what-male-protagonist, what-not-mm
Read from May 21 to 24, 2012

I loved this book. It was a little slow paced in the beginning but that was fine because del Franco set up a complex world mostly by showing rather than telling. It started as an urban fantasy police procedural and it was well done. About halfway through the real action started and I couldn't put it down.

I love the main character. He's complex and I like the idea that he is disabled for someone of his race. He isn't so by our standards but he can't live in our world as we do. He is very much crippled and it's heartbreaking as we are shown rather than told. He doesn't whine but we see how it shattered him as he struggles with it day after day. The loss of his abilities was the loss of his world.

He and the other characters were very real to me and three dimensional. I particularly felt the reality of the two boys in love struggling to survive on the streets. The best part for me is that there was no sexism at all. None. Women could be attractive or not and there wasn't any of the feeling that the writer was picturing the women as they would look in a graphic novel. The men and women were equally strong and all the characters complex. I also like the concept of bigotry both between humans and all the fey as well as between each race of the fey. I really believed this world the author built and I'm eager to read the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unshapely Things.

05/23/2012 page 58
19.0% "A little slow moving but I don't mind it because I absolutely live the character. I also like that despite a lot of complex world building the author has to do, it's much more showing than telling. Connor talks about his disability a lot but in that male unemotional way so that you have to read between the lines. Del Franco does this perfectly and I find myself aching for his loss."

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides Thanks for the like on my review of this. Though as I re-read it I can't help feeling that it's terribly elliptical and uninformative.

Kelly H. (Maybedog) I found it quite helpful actually. I really liked that you had a link to the disposable woman definition. That website was great and I learned a number of things from it when the definitions cited works from famous authors. I'm not sure who the disposable woman was. Remind me?

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides This is terrible, but I don't remember who from this books it applies to. I may have been talking about the whole series, or later books. Or maybe I really have forgotten most of this book. >.<

TV Tropes is great because it offers a shared vocabulary for discussing works of fiction without being overly abstruse. It is a big ol' timesuck though, or can be.

Kelly H. (Maybedog) I've had that happen. I've reread reviews and thought to myself, "I read that? And that's what I wrote?"

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides It's interesting to think of Connor as a disabled person. The book does hint at this, but as you note, it doesn't beat you over the head with it.

Kelly H. (Maybedog) I really loved that part. When I finished I gave the book four stars but the more it sits with me the better I like it.

message 7: by Jubilation Lee (new)

Jubilation Lee All right, you talked me into it, it's going on my to-read. ;)

message 8: by Kelly H. (Maybedog) (last edited May 31, 2012 01:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kelly H. (Maybedog) Another tick mark on my wall. ;)