YA Reads Book Reviews's Reviews > Of Poseidon

Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

May 05, 12

bookshelves: nichole

Originally featured on www.yareads.com, reviewed by Nichole

Galen, the prince of Syrena, is sent to dry land to find a girl he’s heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen-literally, “ouch!”- both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma’s gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom…
Told from both Emma and Galen’s points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.
On a trip to Florida with her best friend Chloe, Emma meets the most gorgeous guy she has ever seen. Unfortunately, she meets him by tripping over her flip-flop and running smack into his chest. Shortly after meeting this gorgeous guy, Galen, and his sister Rayna, Emma experiences the most tramatic event of her life. Her best friend Chloe is brutally killed by a shark, and worse, there is nothing Emma can do about it. Now, heading back home to Jersey, Emma must learn to move on without her best friend and create a whole new life for herself.
After trying to save both Emma and Chloe, and witnessing Emma speak to the shark underwater, Galen knows that Emma is one of his kind. Emma is definitely a Syrena. After reaching this discovery, Galen moves himself, his sister, his best friend and his “mentor” to Jersey, where he quickly enrolls himself in Emma’s high school. Now, Galen must prove to Emma what she really is and make her understand the destiny that awaits her. In a story of love, hurt, struggle and mystery, Galen and Emma must find out the truth about her history…and their future together.
From the moment I started reading Of Poseidon, I wsa captivated by the unique and mysterious tale that stood infront of me. I found my heart pounding with suspense during the opening chapters, not knowing what was about to happen. All I knew that I was addicted to what lay in front of me, and I did not want to let it go.
The characters in this book were something special. From page one, Galen radiated such a masculine aura of strength and loyalty, that my heart fluttered with infatuation. I knew that he was the perfect mate for Emma, and I found myself wanting to shake her during the times that she failed to recognize this. Emma was a spirited, independent and intelligent woman. She was able to make hard decisions when her heart was telling her to do the complete opposite. Her main goal in life was to go to college and make something of herself, and she was not willing to let a boy stand in the way of that. I found it refreshing to finally have a female character not completely swoon over a man and throw away all of her dreams. Emma knew exactly what she wanted and she was going to fight for it. All of the characters throughout this story showed their own unique personalities, and I found myself loving each individual person.
One thing that I did not like about this book was that there was really no action whatsoever. Besides the first few chapters, there were basically no fight scenes, and the suspense was kept to a minimal. Some books are able to pull this off. However, Of Poseidon is definitely a book that calls for some action, and it failed to deliver. The ending sets up the second book for a very interesting storyline. If Anna Banks does it right, the second could be full of all of the action and adventure that the first book ignored.
Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I found it to be a refreshing read, and I could just sort of sit back and enjoy it. I really loved Galen. In fact, I believe I have a new book crush. I think that he really made this book worthwhile, and I am really looking forward to hearing the rest of his story. I would definitely recommend this book to people of all ages, as I believe that it is a light and beautiful read. Fans should enjoy the romance that sparks between Emma and Galen, as it leaves the reading craving to hear more about their fantastic story.
Pages: 324
Publication Date: May 22, 2012
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Rating: : 3

Teaser Quote: “Emma, we don’t have to kiss. She already knows I want to sleep with you.” He cringes as soon as he says it. He doesn’t have to look up to know the sizzling sound in the kitchen is from Rachel spitting her pineapple juice into the hot skillet. “What I mean is, I already told her I want to sleep with you. I mean, I told her I wanted to sleep with you because she already thinks I do. Want to, I mean–” If a Syrena could drown, this is what it would feel like.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Poseidon.