Isabella's Reviews > Reasons to Be Happy

Reasons to Be Happy by Katrina Kittle

May 05, 2012

bookshelves: 5-stars, romance, own-a-copy, serious-topics, middle-grade, re-reading, contemporary
Read in April, 2012

My Rating: 5/5 stars

To be honest, from the moment I picked up REASONS TO BE HAPPY during a Barnes and Noble trip (you will find that I go on a lot of Barnes and Noble trips), I thought it was going to be a typical teen contemporary novel. After all, you have a new girl starting at a new school; there's a rich bitch and her posse out to get her, and the local douche tries to go for her as well, but she falls for the mysterious, shy kid that no one knows. Typical, right?

However, as soon as I started reading, I knew I was damn wrong.

I started crying while reading REASONS TO BE HAPPY; I was freaking crying, because of how emotional it made me. I can definitely relate to Hannah's struggles to be perfect, and I know I'm not the only one. Any teenage girl will know what I'm talking about. Society is cruel, and this book really opens your eyes to the harsh reality that we can't be perfext. Hannah is a strong, inspirational MC and she is very good role model for girls my age. I was hooked on her journey and didn't want to put this book down one bit.

(Not to mention, this is the second book I've reviewed so far with a cute boy in it. I'm attracted to Jasper.)

However, I always find a way to critique everything, no matter how great it may be. I thought that the way some parts of the book were written, made it cliche. I mean, her parents are famous actors, her aunt is a documentary director, and the douchebag is an actor as well. Really? It felt too fantasized at times, but towards the end of the book, it hit me. Kittle purposely threw these things in to convey the message that, no matter how perfect someone's life may seem, they will face these struggles. That's what I found so great about this book.

REASONS TO BE HAPPY has definitely changed me for the better, and I highly suggest this book to anyone who has ever felt alone or sad. Find your reason to be happy.

What's next on my reading list? HOW TO ROCK BRACES AND GLASSES by Meg Haston.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reasons to Be Happy.

Quotes Isabella Liked

Katrina Kittle
“Authenticity and happiness are the best beauty products out there”
Katrina Kittle, Reasons to Be Happy