Isabella's Reviews > Catching Fire

Jan 20, 2014

bookshelves: own-a-copy, 5-stars, series, ya, dystopia, serious-topics
Read in April, 2012

My Rating: 5/5 stars

Ah, at last. The long-awaited sequel of THE HUNGER GAMES. (Actually, it wasn't so long-awaited for me; my mom had already gotten me this book by the time I finished its prequel.) I can guarantee that fans of the first novel will not be disappointed. It picks up from right after the Games, and follows Katniss and Peeta as they deal with the post-traumatic stress the Games has caused, and how to keep the Capitol falling for their fake love story.

I personally loved the intro. I found it very well-written, as well as the rest of the book. There were some really powerful, moving scenes thrown at me. I liked how Collins continued to develop the characters from the first novel, and how she got more in-depth when it came to the love triangle between Katniss, Peeta, and Gale (I personally ship Peeta and Katniss, sorry not sorry). More information on the Capitol and the upcoming Rebellion is provided in this novel as well. The plot was amazing, as usual, and I loved the twist towards the end, even if it did lead to a major cliffhanger. I couldn't put this book down!

All of my praise aside, this book wasn't entirely perfect. I felt that it was, at times, a bit rushed, and like I stated earlier, the ending is a cliffhanger. This is both a good and a bad thing. I also wished Collins made Johanna a bigger character; she definitely made an unforgettable introduction and I was a bit disappointed to find that her part in the novel wasn't as big as I thought. I would also really like to learn more about Finnick and Annie, because I have a lot of questions about the two of them, especially regarding their romance. Another thing I'd wished was for District 13 to play a bigger part, but however, that will all be covered in Mockingjay, so it wasn't that much of a problem.

However, CATCHING FIRE did not disappoint, and I cannot wait to read the final book in the trilogy!

What's next on my reading list? MOCKINGJAY by Suzanne Collins.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.

Quotes Isabella Liked

Suzanne Collins
“I wish I could freeze this moment, right here, right now and live in it forever.”
Suzanne Collins, Catching Fire

Suzanne Collins
“My nightmares are usually about losing you. I'm okay once I realize you're here.”
Suzanne Collins, Catching Fire