Heather's Reviews > Michelangelo

Michelangelo by Mike Venezia

Sep 08, 08

bookshelves: for-the-little-ones, middle-ages, school-books-kid-books, art-appreciation
Read in September, 2008

Another excellent book from the series. Here we briefly meet Michelangelo and some of his works. This is not indepth by any means so is best used for the younger grades. In the middle to junior high grades you'll want Diane Stanley's book.

I think this is a valuable resource either for artist study or history study, but please read the notes below, especially if you have girls.

Nudity discussion -
I was a bit concerned about how the author would handle some of Michelangelo's works, which involve many naked persons. The statue David is shown from the waist up, as seen on the cover. There is a photo of the Madonna and Child which shows the child's boy part. The older boys were a little embarrassed, but it wasn't bad. The 4-yr-old started giggling and we had problems keeping him quiet the rest of the time. He also searched for parts in all the rest of the paintings and sculptures. The book also shows the Creation of Adam with his stuff and a couple cupidy angels with theirs. Again, the older boys (ages 8) handled it just fine, but the 4-yr-old was a little immature about it. Well, he's a little immature about a lot of things. You could cover stuff up with something or you could use as is and discuss modesty. Or you could skip it if it makes you uncomfortable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Michelangelo.