Amanda's Reviews > The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making

The Homemade Pantry by Alana Chernila

Jun 13, 12

bookshelves: cookbooks
Read from May 27 to June 13, 2012

This reads like a food blog, which is probably why I (who do not read cookbooks) read it cover to cover. The stories are sweet, the instructions clear, and the photos excellent. I LOVED the fact that the amount of time the goods can be stored (in both fridge and freezer) are clearly listed and Chernila is gently encouraging throughout.

I was less crazy about the predominance of shortening and things like flax and wheat germ made a few appearances. That is more of a matter of how I stock my pantry though and most of her recipes included things I have readily on hand.

We have been steadily moving away from premade, store bought meals, snacks, and ingredients, but I found plenty of things I hadn't considered (fruit roll ups that actually roll!), learned new tips for the ones I already make, and found new recipes for ones I wanted to tackle.

That said, I have not yet MADE any of the recipes which is, of course, the true test of a cookbook.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Homemade Pantry.

05/27/2012 page 34