Felicia Chien's Reviews > The Hunt

Book: The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda
Pages: 293
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Dystopian
Source: Sent from St. Martin's Griffin

Short Synopsis: In a world where vampires rule the world, and humans have become extinct, one individual known as H6 from his seating position at school, is different from the rest. He is in fact a human, pretending to be something he hates, for survival.

My Thoughts: In a genre that has been done and done again, Fukuda puts an original twist, with vampires and a hint of intrigue, and filled with action packed entertainment.

All H6, who once known as Gene, has ever known, is a world filled with vampires, and must depend on rules to survive as one of the few living "hepers" other wise known as humans, left on the planet. He cannot show emotion, he cannot perspire, he cannot draw attention to himself. And he cannot most certainly fall in love with one of them.
But things start to get complicated for H6 when the Ruler, decides to make an announcement. The Ruler announces that there will in fact be a heper hunt. It's been so long since the last heper hunt, that this announcement brings the entire community into a frenzy. The vampires can't wait to hear more about the hunt, and who will be selected.
All H6 can do is prey that he is not chosen. But when the lottery numbers are announced, H6 is devastated. Only him and one other student, a girl that he has had feelings for, had been chosen in the school.
When H6 finally gets to the arena, all he can do is try avoiding the vampires from finding his secret. But as H6 spends more time at the arena, it's getting harder to hide his stench of human from the others. He also starts finding the real reason behind the heper hunt. Can H6 save himself, and the humans being wrongfully mislead?

A definitely interesting twist to the overdone vampire genre. Very original, I loved reading the comparisons between human and vampires. I felt a lot of sympathy for Gene, who must be very lonely in a world filled with vampires. I couldn't possibly imagine myself in Gene's position, and Fukuda depicts a place filled with horrible creatures, where the narrator may in fact be one of the last remaining real meals.
A very dark and gruesome tale, also filled with romance. I enjoyed reading about the relationship between Gene, and Ashley June. I was so surprised to find out that Ashley June wasn't exactly who she claimed to be, and how she sacrificed herself for Gene.
There were a couple things that I wasn't too fond of though. The pace was a little slow for me, and there were a couple unanswered questions which I hope will be answered later on. First, who was the reporter that was trying to help Gene, and knew exactly what he was. The reporter also commented about Ashley June, and that she wasn't to be trusted, and the fact that the reporter knew about Ashley June was a mystery as well. The story also ends with a very earth shattering realization about the scientist involved in the heper hunt, that I can't wait to read the sequel. Overall, an awesome read filled with action, mystery, and romance, and I look forward to reading more from this author.

Would I recommend this book: Yes

Rating: I give this book a 4/5.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunt.