Ami's Reviews > Precinct 13

Precinct 13 by Tate Hallaway

Aug 14, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy-paranormal-futuristic
Read from August 13 to 14, 2012

Missing corpse. Magical snake tattoo. Necromancer. Talking corpse. Half-Fairy. Vampire-Werewolf. Technomage. Witch and Familiar. Spell triggered by cursing. Golem. Crop circles. Fairy Ring. Zombies ... DRAGON!! (seriously, any urban fantasy with dragon blows my mind *lol*). These are some of the things found in this book -- and it is highly entertaining. One one part at least ...

It is very interesting to read about Alex Connor, who starts as a coroner (she wins the position after applying based on a bet with her roommate) losing a corpse in the first day, only to find that there are magical creatures involved. I enjoy the magical aspect of this; reading how Alex discovers who she is and what power she has, which includes a very rare familiar.

On the other hand, some of the details, especially the investigation to the missing corpse are a bit fuzzy to me. I still don't really get the idea between the naturals and the unnaturals. (view spoiler).

Also, Alex comes with a past before she moves to Pierre, and that past has never been fully explained ((view spoiler)). Alex also has a lover, Valentine ... and since her relationship with Valentine is part of the unexplained background, I am missing the "how" they met part.

I'm not sure whether this is a stand-alone novel or a start of a series (at the time I am writing this, there is no information on Ms. Hallaway's website). If this is going to be a series, I am intrigue enough to try the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Precinct 13.

08/13/2012
25.0% "This is pretty good. I like it when the heroine is the 'new kid on the block' and the team members are teaching her the rope ..."
08/13/2012
50.0% ""There's a dead fucking cow in the morgue." -- That is a line I rarely found in a book *lol*"
08/14/2012
70.0% "This book has zombies! This might be third book in the past few days that I read that have zombies in it *lol*"