Jessica (My Not So Vacant Shelf)'s Reviews > Seizure

Seizure by Kathy Reichs

May 20, 12

Read in May, 2012

So I liked the first one in the series and was keen on reading the second one. This one was a little better than the first. Why? Pirates. That should pretty much sum it up. Although like the previous novel there was still something missing. I think Reichs is just not yet use to writing for young adult readers. Still it was pretty cool learning some of the lessons in this book, and the history was overall pretty awesome to learn too.
Basically Tory and her friends are starting to get a grip on their powers, although they still have no clue what is going on with them, or how it will change in the future but they’re trying. To top everything off they are at risk of being split apart so they go through all the hoops possible to save their pack.
And Tory is working on her debut…which, I find completely hilarious. But she also finally gets some good licks in. I’m just worried that the power that she continues to feel increasing inside her with every flare, the same power that makes her pack leader, will make her loose control
Good:
Tory: She’s smart
Hi: Also very smart and very very funny.
Sheldon: Dido
Ben: The muscle of the bunch. He’s tall, dark, and silence, probably will a little bit of anger issues. Poor Ben. Always having to get kicked, slapped, or insulted to be able to flare. Oh p.s I’m only guessing but I think he likes Tory. Hence why he hates Jason so much. Ahh…teen angst.
Bad:
A little slow and a little long. Sometimes I found that I was over powered with information and lessons that I felt like taking a break but then I also just wanted to blaze though and get the book done.
Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):
Overall I found some of her writing in this novel confusing. She doesn’t mention their moments very well so sometimes I question how they got from one point to another. And when dealing with four main characters there seemed to be confusion with regards to who was speaking and their individual thoughts, even what they were referring to. Causing me to have to re-read something things to make sure I got it right. Overall though I loved the story and characters. But I do question how these kids can get away with so much and their parents never seem to notice until the absolute end. Lucky…

View more of my review and others at my blog: www.mynotsovacantshelf.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seizure.

Quotes Jessica Liked

Kathy Reichs
“You'll start talking, and pretty soon we'll all start nodding, and then the next thing you know, I'm hang gliding off the Eiffel Tower at night, being chased by ninja vampires”

Kathy Reichs
“Amazing.” Hi stripped off his shirt, wrung it out. “Score one for your honker.” “Thanks, I think.” I cocked my chin at Hi’s substantial midsection. “Nice abs.” “Yeah, I work out twice a month. No expectations. But stop hitting on me, it’s embarrassing.”

Kathy Reichs
“Observing Ben’s struggle, Hi scratched his chin. Glanced at me. Shrugged. Then he quietly slipped around behind Ben. And, without ceremony, kicked him in the ass. Hard”

Kathy Reichs
“I have a cotillion event. Some yacht-club charity fundraiser thingy. Whitney is insisting, and Kit took her side.” Three wide smiles. “Oh shut up.”

Kathy Reichs
“Ahh! Lady Pillows. So much fluffier than mine.” He took a giant whiff. “Why does everything girlie smell so delightful?” “Because we acknowledge the importance of basic hygiene. And periodically clean our bathrooms.” “Brilliant. I should write that down. After all, it takes a village.”

Kathy Reichs
“Ben locked his eyes on mine for a long moment. Then, “How?” “How do you think?” I smiled, then slapped him full across the face”

Kathy Reichs
“Fine. Everybody wears seatbelts. No radio. No distractions.” Ben shot Hi a stern look. “No running commentary.” “Your loss,” Hi said. “To the pimp ride!”

Kathy Reichs
“I’m adding ‘canine’ to my searches,” I said. “And ‘instinct.’” “Whatever. I’m adding ‘lunatic.”

Kathy Reichs
“We did just leave an insane asylum,” Hi agreed. “For all we know, Chance spend his nights dancing naked with sock puppets, plotting to invade Canada.”

Kathy Reichs
“Ben yanked Hi sideways as spikes snapped from the wall…Once again, only Ben’s reflexes had saved him. “Please stop doing that!” Ben barked. “Please keep doing that!” Hi warbled.”

Kathy Reichs
“Tory a father isn’t supposed to fear his fourteen-year-old daughter. That being sad, you terrify me.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »