Sam at A Journey Through Pages's Reviews > Bumped

May 10, 12

bookshelves: dystopia
Read on May 04, 2012

Review from A Journey Through Pages

Bumped was always the book I passed up. Something about it never caught my eye, I didn't even realize its slightly dystopic nature. During the fabulous readathon however, I ended winning its sequel, Thumped so it had to be read.

I honestly wish I had read this sooner. I love the whole idea that the book is based around, it is the nightmare of parents everywhere right now, the fact that teenaged pregnancy is supported. It reminds me of Withered except it makes more sense, the world building is much more solid. I also love how we explore this world from complete opposite ends of the spectrum in this version of the world. On one hand we have an Amish like community and on the other we have a "RePro" someone getting pregnant for money.

The book is incredibly fast paced, helped along with the short chapters from both points of views, and I fell in love with the characters enough that I was screaming at the book a couple of times (Harmony no! Don't do that!). I also really enjoyed the voice and slang of the book, slang is a very important reflection of society, so I have a lot of respect for the author using that as a tool to show off what society is obsessed with (such as never calling the baby a baby but using other words)

It does end in a rather abrupt, cliffhanger-y way, so I was incredibly glad to have the sequel on hand and ready to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bumped.

05/04/2012 page 127
05/04/2012 page 202
63.0% "Nooo Harmony shut up arrgghh It's like watching a train wreck"