Anna's Reviews > Smart Girls Get What They Want

Smart Girls Get What They Want by Sarah Strohmeyer

Jun 12, 12

bookshelves: harpercollins, balzer-and-bray, review, books-i-own
Read from June 10 to 11, 2012

More of my reviews can be found on my blog: Literary Exploration

When this book showed up in the mail along with a few others from HarperTeen I had no idea what it was about. I honestly had never even heard of it, and since I'm not a big contemporary reader I was a bit skeptical. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised! Not only is this book adorably fun, but it's a great summer read! Gigi and her friends, Bea and Neerja, have been holding themselves back from enjoying high school by spending all their time doing homework, but they've finally decided enough is enough! This is a great story about overcoming social anxiety, the pressures of succeeding, and learning to enjoy high school while still getting good grades!

Gigi is so smart, yet so dumb sometimes which definitely had me face palming a few times. She doesn't have the best taste in boys, although I thought she did for awhile! And her need to succeed has her oblivious to the social world around her. I absolutely ADORED her! Not only was she hilarious, but she was pretty too! I loved reading a story about a girl who was not only smart, but also pretty because I feel like that can be kind of rare in YA. Usually, it's the hot popular girl vs. the mousy-haired book nerd but there's no in between. It was so refreshing to read about someone who was pretty and proud to be so brilliant! Bea and Neerja were also incredibly awesome. Bea especially. I would definitely love to have girls like that for my friends!

The story itself is nicely paced, while staying fun and entertaining. It's told from Gigi's POV and she's got a pretty hilarious mind, I found myself laughing out loud on more than one occasion. Beware, there is a love triangle but it is definitely done well. I even found myself having a hard time choosing between the two boys, or even figuring out if they had feelings for Gigi at all! Strohmeyer does an awesome job of putting the reader in Gigi's shoes, because I really felt like I was her. When Gigi felt anxious, I felt anxious for her. When she got excited, I found myself with a huge grin on my face! I'm so happy I had the chance to pick up this book, because it was just so fun!

Overall, I absolutely LOVED Smart Girls Get What They Want! I was so happy to read about a Smart Girl going after what she wanted and putting herself out there on the social chopping block. High school isn't easy and it was great to see a group of friends who could stick together and make the best of it, while maintaining their 4.0 averages! If you're looking for a fun, exciting, cute, and just plain awesome summer read, Smart Girls is the way to go!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Smart Girls Get What They Want.

06/11/2012 page 146
41.0% "This boy is super swoon worthy!!!!!"