Michele's Reviews > The Shoemaker's Wife

May 18, 12

bookshelves: books-of-2012
Read from May 10 to 17, 2012

Top Ten Reasons To Read This Book:

1. It brings out the Italian in you. We all have some somewhere, yes? You forget you do, until
you read this book.

2. Somehow, somewhere, your brain is craving a break from nonfiction, the Holocaust, or your math
book.

3. It's clean. So refreshing in today's world of slimy talk and swear words.

4. It's about families, "un famiglia," another welcome change in today's lit.

5. It's about sacrifice. I loved how people in this novel were willing to give something up for
something better.

6. She says things in such a beautiful way. Let me give you a sampling:

Sister(A nun) only takes what she needs. It's the secret to happiness. 103
(On getting married:) Enza believed there was a beauty in the sacraments that brought grace to
living. 301

She knew that a woman can only know two things when she falls in love: what she sees in the man,
and what she believes he will become in the light of her care. 314

If you truly love someone, when he is cut, you bleed. 365

He loved his family and he loved beauty. For a true Italian, those are the only two things that
matter. 446

In the last moments of his life Ciro realized that a truly good man is a rarity, a speck of gold
in a mountain of slag. 438

7: This book is based on her own family, so you can rest assured she invested much time and effort
in making it a dedicated work.

8: She has a positive spin on life that I really enjoyed. Through hard times there was always light
and introspection. I loved how these characters were not afraid to work and to try. They were
huge successes in my mind. Unafraid to give life a go.

9: It has lots of beautiful scenery, (It takes place in the Italian Alps) elements of romance,
friendship, food, and celebrations.

10. You will shed a few tears, and that's always good for you, right? (It's called carthasis, I'm
sure you knew that already.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shoemaker's Wife.