Deborah Biancotti's Reviews > The Plot Thickens: 8 Ways to Bring Fiction to Life

The Plot Thickens by Noah Lukeman

May 05, 12

bookshelves: on-writing

I gave this book 3 stars because it's thought-provoking in a lot of ways & provides some comprehensive lists for working through your characters. But I also found it irritating, & toyed with giving it 2 stars. I think because a) the tone is aggressive, b) the examples are incomplete & feel kinda random (& are often examples of movies rather than books). I figure the best thing we could've asked Lukeman to do for this book would've been to provide an example for EVERY point he made ;), c) I hated the use of masculine pronouns except for 'feminine-specific' examples, like when a character goes into a shoe store or, in a police line-up, when you apparently want to know her breast & waist size. Also, d) I often felt like the advice was good - like, 'ramp up the suspense' - but the exercises didn't give a lot of particularities on HOW.

For example, page 144: " go through your list of suspenseful scenes, and ask yourself how you can prolong each of these. As an exercise, take a suspenseful scene and make it twice the length, stretching out the suspenseful moment."

Still, like I said, it made me think harder about my characters and the implications of my characters.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Plot Thickens.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate completely agree! nicely done review

Lesley Ogilvie Rice I couldn't agree more. Interesting lists, but too many of them. A lot of good advice on what to do, but no information on how to do it.