Jeff Yoak's Reviews > Living Proof

Living Proof by Kira Peikoff

May 11, 12

bookshelves: audio-collection, read-in-2012
Read from May 03 to 08, 2012, read count: 1

Living Proof is one of the books I've enjoyed most in the last few years. I think the best way to understand it is as a modern and popularly consumable literary novel. It has well-constructed plot and theme. Characterization is pretty tight. Its form should be generally appealing to an American audience, and yet has a shining sense of life extremely rare to find in modern books. It is a fast-moving page-turner that makes you laugh and cry, and leaves you just a little in love with the heroine.

Trying to peg it as a modern genre novel is a challenge. It vaguely fits somewhere in the thriller / suspense genre, but that isn't really what makes it attractive. You can think of it as near-term hard sci fi, but good books in that genre typically push most aspects of life forward speculatively and focus on that, while Living Proof selects the narrow topic of stem cell research and tech emerging from it and stretches it just a little, and one societal trend, the growth of power of religious control and watches them clash in an interesting fashion. Otherwise, though set in 2027, everything stays startlingly static. For example, phones are identical today's tech, and phone tapping, essential to the plot, moves backwards slightly. Despite the date, I read it as more "outside of time." In these respects, it strongly reminds me of Michael Crichton's formula where he picks one small thing to change by stretching modern tech just a little and then watches extreme situations emerge from it providing a backdrop for thrilling character interactions. That describes the vast majority of Crichton books and Living Proof as well.

Living Proof has everything that I'd want in a book. It was fun and easy to read. It has an inspiring character. It has a powerful theme. I would recommend it to anyone.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Living Proof.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathy (new) - added it

Cathy DuPont Loved this review. Reviews like this one make me really want to read the book even though it's outside my usual genre. And you don't give out five stars lightly. It's definately on my 'to-read' list.

Jeff Yoak Cathy, I'd recommend it unconditionally.